Sat, 16 Mar|
Clifton School of Arts
Two Day Monotype Masterclass, March 2024
Time & Location
16 Mar 2024, 9:30 pm AEDT – 17 Mar 2024, 4:30 pm AEDT
Clifton School of Arts, 338 Lawrence Hargrave Dr, Clifton NSW 2515, Australia
About the event
Hosted at the iconic building Clifton Art School, nestled between the mountains and overlooking the Pacific Ocean on the stunning coastline of Illawarra, NSW. Nicole Kelly, the artist and co-owner behind In The Field, will share her steps to prepare, create and pull monotypes by hand across the mediums of water colour, gouache and oil paint. Join us for a hands-on, personal learning experience.
Ticket numbers are limited to ensure a bespoke experience, where you will leave feeling confident with your new skillset.
Date: Saturday 16th of March + Sunday 17th of March 2024
Time: 9:30am - 4:30pm both days
Location: Clifton School of Arts, Clifton NSW
Cost: $1050 + gst (includes your ticket to the workshop, two full days of education, monotype masterclass workshop, all food and drinks and a complimentary gift)
What We Cover:
- How to prepare a monotype station and the use of registration
- Practical demonstrations on how to create and pull monotypes by hand
- The importance of composition and rapid response to your subject
- Making the painting - capturing the essence of your mark in print
- An overview of the different techniques required for oil and water based prints
- Q&A and opportunities for 1:1 Q&A for any burning questions you want answered!
Who This Suitable For:
- Those with an interest in learning the in depth process of monotypes;
- Artists, designers, creatives, those wanting to expand their painting or drawing practice, or uplevel and refine their monotype technique.
What You’ll Learn:
Let's get you making monotypes. This workshop provides an introduction to the fundamental tips and techniques for creating oil and water based monotypes, drawing inspiration from the natural surroundings of the stunning Northern Illawarra. We cover the three areas that make a beautiful print - composition, mark making and printing.
During this very practical, hands-on workshop, Nicole will help you to navigate all the decisions you need to make along the way in order to hand pull a small series of monotype prints, including guidance on the use of colour, line, and how to direct the eye across the picture plane. You’ll learn a variety of painting applications such as scraping, scrubbing and layering paint in a manner suitable for printing, using a full range colour palette, while developing colour mixing and compositional skills and so much more.
Monotypes are unique one-off prints filled with risk and excitement that reveal your unique and authentic mark making. They are great for experimentation and studies as well as celebrated and collected artworks in their own right and great for exhibition and award submissions.
This is a great option if you are an artist wanting to expand your practice and clarify the technical aspects, or you are simply interested in making some beautiful prints and learning a new skill!
You will leave feeling equipped to confidently create monotypes on your own!
- Seasonal lunch and morning tea on both days
- Access to a large open plan space to practice your monotypes with sweeping views from every window
- A supply of paper for printing, hand printing tools, perspex plates and materials required for printing preparation
- Monotype supplies kit to take home to continue printing (valued over $100)
- Notebook and pen
- In The Field hand printed tote
- Hands-on, in person monotype training
- You will learn the essentials of oil based and water based monotypes (including prepping the surfaces of the plate)
- Composing your subject
- Responding to a subject rapidly and from life
- Print setup including registration method
- Modernist palette set up suitable to landscape, still life and interior genres
- My recipe for the perfect oil monotype medium
- Workflow process - learn to self edit/cull and choose a strong selection of work to present as a body of work
- Advice and tips for what makes a strong monotype
- Opportunity to ask questions related to painting, monotypes and professional practice
- You will leave with approximately 2-3 beautiful monotypes ready to be framed
- Take home booklet of everything we cover, as well as FAQ’s so that you can refer back to it when you need a little help
- Ticket type
Monotype MasterclassSale ends: 17 Mar, 4:30 pm AEDT
17 Mar, 4:30 pm AEDTPrice$1,050.00
+$105.00 gstTax: +$105.00 gst